Phone: 413-442-1521 ext 60
Meeting times: Mondays, 7-9 pm
Term: Members elected for 3 years at the Annual Town Meeting
Mailing Address: P.O. Box 238, Middlefield, MA 01243
- Septic system info: https://www.mass.gov/septic-systems-title-5
- Septic system permitting: https://fctpermit.com/sites/alliance/boh/user_logins.asp
- Private wells: https://www.mass.gov/private-wells
Local boards of health in Massachusetts are required by state laws and regulations to perform many important duties relative to the protection of the public health, control of disease, promotion of sanitary living conditions and the protection of the environment from pollution.
The Middlefield Select Board acts as the Board of Health for the town.
The Town utilizes the Berkshire Public Health Alliance to provide part-time Health Agents to act on behalf of the Board of Health who are responsible for field work and enforcement of state and local Health regulations. This mainly involves performing housing and restaurant inspections, reviewing designs for the construction and repair of septic systems, private wells and investigating public nuisance complaints. Permits are required from the Board of Health prior to repairing or constructing septic systems and installing private wells. You must also have your septic system inspected prior to selling your home by a qualified Title 5 inspector.
If you have a need to contact the Board of Health please email us at email@example.com and we would be happy to assist you.
Effective January 1, 2022 the fees are:
- Septic system installer $125
- Septic system pumper/hauler $125
- Construction permit for new/upgraded septic system $250
- Perc test witness fee minimum $125 for the first 4 hours or part thereof, and $50 for each additional hour or part thereof
- Food permit — no fee
Check should be written to “Town of Middlefield”.
Construction permits for septic systems are to be submitted with the designer’s drawn plan to: P.O. Box 238, Middlefield, MA 01243
All other fees to be mailed to the town directly.